Jr. hockey wrap-up – January 12, 2019

Ice hockey player. © Can Stock Photo / lsantilli

It was a game of both scoring and scrapping between the Essex 73s and Mooretown Flags.

The 73s had five different goal scorers in their 5-2 win over the Flags in Mooretown Saturday night. Essex is in first place with 57 points in the PJHL Stobbs Division. The Flags are fifth with 37 points.

There was no scoring in the first period, but there was plenty of extracurricular activity. 19 minutes of penalties, including a game misconduct against Mooretown’s Cameron Rombouts for checking from behind, were handed out in the opening frame.

The 73s got on the board with back-to-back goals in the second period. Riley Meyerink scored on the power play at 1:59, then Tyler Beneteau added a goal closer to the halfway point of the stanza. Trevor Bogaert’s goal for Mooretown cut the Essex lead in half, but the 73s got that lead back on a power-play goal from Adam Gaiarin. The penalties continued throughout the period with an additional 92 minutes assessed. Game misconducts were given to Kyle Smith and Brock Perry of the Flags, as well as Essex’s Josh Pope-Ferguson.

In the third, Curtis Jackson’s power-play goal made it 4-1 Essex, but Cameron Rannie pulled within a goal for Mooretown just 90 seconds later. William Stadder completed the scoring in the game for the 73s. The fisticuffs continued, though, and Bryce O’Brien of the 73s was given an early shower for head contact.

Connor Meyerink kept a cool head in net for Essex, stopping 32 shots out of 34 attempts. Jake Wilkins had 42 saves for Mooretown.

The 73s next take on Petrolia at home Tuesday night. The Flags are on the road Wednesday against Wallaceburg.


It was a defensive battle, but the Komoka Kings prevailed 2-1 at home over the Sarnia Legionnaires.

The Kings are in sixth place in the GOJHL Western Conference with 32 points, while Sarnia is in fourth place with 37 points.

Komoka scored the only goal in the first period when Chase Strychaluk connected on the power play. That lead held until 5:37 of the second period when Alec DeKoning tied the game on the power-play for the Legionnaires, though Joel Mazzilli’s short-handed goal gave the Kings a 2-1 second-interval lead.

There was no scoring in the third period but Sarnia had a single power-play opportunity and held the Kings to no shots on goal.

Nathan Young stopped all but one of the 30 shots he faced in net for the Kings. Nolan DeKoning had 20 saves in goal for the Legionnaires.

Sarnia travels to Chatham Sunday night while the Kings head to London on Wednesday.


Two games were played earlier Saturday as part of the PJHL Outdoor Shinny Series, taking place at Windsor’s Lanspeary Park.