Photo Courtesy of

Jr. hockey wrap-up – October 14, 2018

The Leamington Flyers scored three in the third period on their way to a 4-0 shutout win over the Sarnia Legionnaires Sunday afternoon at the Kinsmen Centre.

The Flyers now move into sole possession of second place in the GOJHL Western Conference with 15 points. Sarnia is right behind in third place with 13 points.

There was no scoring in the first period, and the Flyers outshot Sarnia 8-5. Leamington’s Adam Jeffery earned a misconduct for boarding in the frame.

The scoreless tie was broken at 12:33 in the second period on Wyatt O’Neil’s goal, giving Leamington a 1-0 lead. The three third-period goals were scored in order by Preston Corp, Ryan Gagnier and Levi Tetrault.

Zach Borgiel stopped all 20 shots he faced to get the shutout for the Flyers. Jakob Knowles had 24 saves in the losing effort for Sarnia.

Both sides are back in action Thursday night. The Flyers host St. Thomas while the Legionnaires host London.


Cory Burns scored in overtime to push the Amherstburg Integrity Admirals to a 4-3 win over the Mooretown Flags at the Libro Centre.

Amherstburg now has 13 points in the PJHL Stobbs Division, good for fourth place. Mooretown is in fifth place with 11 points.

Brett Smith struck first for the Addys at 12:08 in the opening period. Just over five minutes later, the Flags evened the score with a goal off the stick of Brock Perry. The score was knotted at one-all at first intermission.

The two teams exchanged a single goal in the middle period. This time it was Mooretown taking the lead, with a lamplighter from Brett Farr at 13 seconds into the stanza. Caleb Paquette tied the game up again for Amherstburg over three minutes later.

The third period was scoreless, with the Admirals outshooting the Flags 6-5. Burns’ winner came with 15 seconds left in overtime.

Ben Larder stopped 25 out of 27 shots in net for Amherstburg. Adam Mino had 36 stops for Mooretown.

The Addys travel to Lakeshore Friday night. Mooretown hosts the Petrolia Flyers Saturday night.


The Dresden Kings scored first and held on to beat the Blenheim Blades 4-3 on the road.

Dresden extended its lead in the Stobbs Division to 23 points. Blenheim remains in seventh place with five points.

The Kings scored back-to-back goals in the first frame. Nolan VandenBoorn cracked the scoreboard first at 5:58. Lucas Spence doubled the lead for Dresden with a power play goal later in the period.

Blenheim climbed back into the game and tied it up in the second period. Cameron Symons scored on the power play to get the Blades on the board, then Dede Cato tied it up with another extra-man score. Dresden soon regained the lead when a power-play goal by Geoffry VandenBoorn. The Kings led 3-2 after 40 minutes.

At 19 seconds into the third period, Symons scored to tie the game at 3-3 for Blenheim, but at 53 seconds left in regulation, Dresden’s T.J. Saunby scored what would end up being the game winner.

Brett Brochu earned 29 saves in net for Dresden. Chris DeWulf backstopped Blenheim with 33 saves.

The Blades travel to Petrolia Thursday night. Dresden hosts Wheatley on Friday.


The St. Marys Lincolns closed out with four straight goals to beat the St. Thomas Stars 6-2 at the Joe Thornton Centre.

The Lincolns pull themselves out of the Western cellar with eight points on the season so far. The Stars are in sixth place with ten points.

Cal Horvat put the Stars up first at just over two minutes into the first period. The Lincolns then scored back-to-back goals to hold a 2-1 lead by first intermission. Quinton Pepper had the equalizer, then Mason Goldie scored the go-ahead goal.

Nicolas Grandy scored at 8:16 in the second frame to tie the game up at two for the Stars, but St. Marys added two additional goals, from Cayse Ton on the power play, and Darcy Winkler. St. Thomas’ starting goalie Anthony Hurtubise was pulled for backup Kevin Linker.

The Lincolns scored two more goals in the third period, from Blair Butchart and Jake Weston.

Hurtubise and Linker combined for 28 saves for the Stars. Justin Richer had 34 shots and stopped 32 of them for St. Marys.

St. Marys heads to London on Wednesday night.