Photo Courtesy of

Jr. hockey wrap-up – October 6, 2018

The Mooretown Flags dominated in their 5-1 win over the Wheatley Omstead Sharks at home Saturday night.

Both Wheatley and Mooretown are part of a three-way tie forĀ fourth place in the PJHL Stobbs Division with eight points each.

The Sharks did draw first blood, when Alixe Saliba scored at 8:05 in the first period. Brock Perry evened the score for the Flags with a power play goal later in the segment.

Perry struck again on the power play at 5:33 in the middle frame to put Mooretown in front 2-1. The Flags extended that lead when Colton Osborne found the net over three minutes later. Cade Robbins added another one for good measure to extend the Mooretown lead to 4-1 after 40 minutes of play.

Nolan Farr scored on the power play in the third period to close out the scoring.

Jake Wilkins stopped all but one of the 32 shots he faced in goal for Mooretown. Catalin Morin had 33 saves for Wheatley.

Both teams are back in action on Wednesday night, following the Thanksgiving break. The Sharks host Essex while the Flags welcome Lakeshore.


T.J. Harris lit the lamp in overtime as the Strathroy Rockets beat the Leamington Flyers 3-2 at West Middlesex Memorial Arena.

The Rockets now have four points in the GOJHL Western Conference but still sit in last place. The Flyers are in second place with 11 points.

Each team exchanged a goal in the first period. Strathroy struck first with a Carson Perry goal about halfway through the frame. Adam Jeffrey tied the game up for the Flyers with a score of his own before the first intermission.

Leamington took the lead with the only goal of the middle stanza, as Griffin Robinson scored on the power play. The Rockets returned the favour in the third period as Zachary Berriault scored short-handed, tying the game at 3-3 and forcing the overtime period. Harris only needed seven seconds to score the winner.

Joshua Diamond took the win in goal for Strathroy, with 39 saves. Zach Borgiel had 44 stops for Leamington.

The two teams meet again on Thursday night, with the scene shifting to the Kinsmen Recreation Complex.


Joel Mazzilli scored the overtime winner as the Komoka Kings beat the visiting London Nationals 4-3.

The Kings are now tied for fifth place in the Western Conference with eight points.

Kurt Watson gave the Kings an early lead with a goal at just 44 seconds into the game. London then tied it up and took the lead with back-to-back goals before the first intermission, from Christian Polillo and James Turner, the latter on the power play.

Max Vinogradov extended the Nationals’ lead to 3-1 in the second period with a power play goal, but D’Arcy Panziera pulled Komoka to within one with a goal later in the frame.

The Kings tied the game up when Jacob Howard scored the lone goal in the final period. Mazzilli’s overtime goal came at 62 seconds into the extra period.

Owen Say faced 35 shots in goal for the Kings, stopping 32 of them. Keaghan Brett had 16 saves for London.

Komoka head to LaSalle to take on the Vipers Wednesday night, while the Nationals host St. Thomas.