Premier Ford speaks to Stellantis reps about plans of cutting second shift
Premier Doug Ford said he’s not happy with Stellantis’ decision to cut the second shift at the Windsor Assembly Plant.
On Tuesday, Ford along with Economic Development Minister Vic Fedeli spoke with Stellantis representatives about the facility’s recent announcement to soon reduce the workforce in the plant. Earlier this month, the automaker said the plant will move production down to one shift in the spring due to a global parts shortage.
“Premier Ford expressed his disappointment with the decision to eliminate the facility’s second shift putting nearly two thousand Ontarians out of a job next year,” read a statement the office of the premier. “The Premier encouraged [Stellantis] to work with union leadership to ensure that everything is being done to get the plant back to operating at full capacity.”
Earlier this week, Ford told reporters during a media conference in Windsor that he had met with the local Unifor president and said he’s committed to working with the plant in order to support Windsor’s auto sector and the thousands of workers it employs.
Following the news of the shift cuts, Stellantis confirmed a $1.5-billion investment to the Windsor plant that would bring back a three shift operation.