Leamington, health unit provides garage sale safety tips
The local economy is slowly but surely opening up, but one Windsor-Essex community has laid out some guidelines for a summer tradition.
The Municipality of Leamington has provided guidelines to residents who want to host, or visit, a garage sale. Leamington has worked with the Windsor-Essex County Health Unit to provide tips for hosts and customers to protect themselves from COVID-19.
Under the current by-law, Leamington defines a garage sale as an outdoor sale of used household goods, whether a garage is involved or not. Garage sales can only be held in residential areas, and residents are not permitted to hold more than three in a given calendar year. Each sale can not last longer than three consecutive calendar days and can only be held between 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
If you plan to host a garage sale in Leamington, the health unit recommends the following tips:
- Ensure there are no more than ten people on the premises at one time, including the host.
- Making sure that there are physical distancing and crowd control is the host’s responsibility.
- Clean objects and surfaces frequently that are in high-touch areas and provide at least a 70 per cent alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Never allow customers into your home.
- Try to limit contact with other people while exchanging items or money.
- If you or anyone in your home is feeling sick, even with mild symptoms, don’t host a sale. Stay home, self-isolate, and contact your health care provider.
If you want to go to a garage sale, here are these tips from the health unit:
- Stay local and limit the places you do visit.
- Stay at least two metres away from other people at all times.
- Pay online or by e-transfer if possible, or use exact change to limit contact with cash.
- Do not go into a person’s home, even if you are invited to do so.
- If you can, shop for items online and arrange for a delivery or curbside pickup.
- Clean and disinfect items that you touch or purchase and wash your hands thoroughly. Don’t buy an item that is difficult to clean.
- If you’re sick, stay home.
Complete information on safe garage sales is available on the health unit’s official website.