Health unit confirms first hospitalized case of COVID-19

Windsor-Essex County Health Unit, Windsor, January 16, 2020. Photo by Mark Brown, Blackburn News.

Windsor-Essex now has its first hospitalized case of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).

The Windsor-Essex County Health Unit and Windsor Regional Hospital confirmed Thursday night that the region’s sixth case of COVID-19 is a patient at the hospital.

This case involves a female in her 60s with a recent travel history out of the country. She began developing symptoms on March 18 and was tested at the Ouellette Campus’ assessment centre on Monday. The woman ended up being admitted to the hospital on Tuesday.

“The necessary precautions were taken since the patient first came to hospital,” said Windsor Regional Hospital president and CEO David Musyj. “The patient is being cared for by our amazing and capable team members and we are taking all the necessary steps to protect this patient, our staff and our other patients at Windsor Regional Hospital. Please stay safe.”

Dr. Wajid Ahmed, medical officer of health for the WECHU, reminded people once again to make sure they are doing what they can to protect themselves.

“The Windsor-Essex County Health Unit is continuing to investigate and monitor all individuals who are at risk of exposure,” said Ahmed. “As we continue to see cases rise in our area and in the United States this sixth case is a reminder to be vigilant, stay home, and self-isolate if you have travelled, including distancing yourself from family.”

As of the health unit’s latest update Thursday afternoon, 658 people had been tested, with 200 coming back negative and the rest pending or positive. Ontario has 858 cases as of Thursday night, with 13 deaths.