Cigarette causes Windsor balcony fire
Investigators say a carelessly-discarded cigarette was the cause of a Windsor highrise fire Wednesday afternoon.
Windsor Fire and Rescue say it happened around 1:30 p.m. at an apartment building on the corner of Ouellette Avenue and Tecumseh Road East. Multiple units were on scene and drivers were directed to stay clear of the area.
The fire was out within half an hour and was confined to an apartment balcony on the building’s fourth floor. Firefighters remained on scene after extinguishing the blaze, checking adjacent units for smoke.
A lit cigarette that had caught a patio chair on fire was determined to be the cause, and the damage is estimated at around $5,000. There were no injuries reported.
Ouellette Ave fire caused by a discarded cigarette, igniting a chair on 4th floor balcony, no injuries, damage $5000. *JL
— Windsor Fire (@WindsorFire1) March 18, 2020