Brief talks between Nemak and Unifor unsuccessful
Nemak and Unifor officials spoke briefly Wednesday over the phone but have so far been unable to resolve their differences.
In a news release, Unifor officials said they submitted an offer to resolve the ongoing dispute.
“Union representatives spoke with Nemak this morning and now the ball is in their court,” said Unifor National President Jerry Dias. “The company was provided with an offer and Unifor awaits their response.”
Nemak said they have already given its response.
“Unfortunately, the union has made it very clear that they are not interested in negotiating anything less than Nemak rescinding the plant closure announcement and keeping the plant open at least until January 2022. This is unfortunate as the company is prepared to discuss some form of closure agreement and fair severance terms,” the company said in a release.
On Tuesday, a judge urged both sides to come up with a resolution before returning to court on Friday at 2 p.m.
Unifor has organized a rally for 11 a.m. on Thursday outside the plant on Booth Drive. The union said it expects hundreds of people in attendance.
Both sides said they are ready and open to further discussions but at this time no further talks are scheduled.
The union blockade at the Nemak plant in Windsor has been ongoing since Labour Day.