Signs are displayed at a rally at the University of Windsor, January 24, 2019. Photo by Mark Brown/Blackburn News.Signs are displayed at a rally at the University of Windsor, January 24, 2019. Photo by Mark Brown/Blackburn News.
Windsor

Students walkout to protest changes to OSAP

Students across the province will be walking out of class Wednesday to protest changes to the Ontario Student Assistance Program.

The Canadian Federation of Students tweeted Tuesday students at the University of Windsor have been granted academic amnesty so long as they gave their professors 48 hours notice they will be participating. The amnesty includes all exams, labs, and assignments.

The University's Board of Governors granted the amnesty at its last meeting. A report to the board said, "this is not an action against the University, but is actually a space that all those from administration are invited to attend as special guests."

The report also said the university supports peaceful dissent under its No Force Policy.

The noon hour demonstration is expected to take place in the courtyard outside the CAW Student Centre on campus.

Students who disapprove of the changes have said they want more student grants, a boost in funding for public education, and an end to the Student Choice Initiative which made previously mandatory student fees optional.

The Ford government announced the changes to OSAP at the same time as a 10 per cent tuition fee cut.

At the University of Windsor, staff and management at the student radio station, CJAM recently started a petition calling on the Ford government to rethink the initiative, saying it would mean negatively impact staff and programming. Student fees account for 70 per cent of CJAM's annual budget.

The initiative could also mean a cut in funding for the campus newspaper, The Lance.

The students at the University held another demonstration last January to protest OSAP changes.

Protests are planned at 15 other universities and colleges across the province on Wednesday as well.

Read More Local Stories