University of Windsor, January 29, 2016 (Photo by Maureen Revait) University of Windsor, January 29, 2016 (Photo by Maureen Revait)
Windsor

U of W station nervous about government plan to cut fees

Staff and management at a Windsor radio station are pushing back against a plan by the Ford government to make student fees optional.

CJAM-FM (99.1), the student-operated, community-based radio station owned by the University of Windsor, is circulating a petition, urging the PC-majority government to rethink their Students Choice Initiative.

The government said the Students Choice Initiative would make post-secondary education more affordable for students by cutting tuition and allowing students to opt-out of paying fees for services or amenities that they will not be using.

Brady Holek, CJAM station manager, said the initiative has station staff nervous about potential cuts to staff, services and programming. Although CJAM is mostly operated by volunteers, Holek said Students Choice might make things more difficult for students who are looking for experience as they pursue individual careers. These fees support not only campus radio and TV stations but also student-run newspapers like U of W's The Lance.

“If campus media is deemed non-essential it will be the beginning of the end for campus newspapers and radio across the province,” said Holek in a statement. “Along with the services we provide, students will no longer be able to gain experience and skills that lead to job opportunities in broadcasting, journalism, and the music industry.”

Holek said student fees make up a good chunk of CJAM's annual budget. The station receives $5 per full-time undergraduate student each academic year, which makes up about 70 per cent of the budget. The rest is funded through pledge drives and donations.

“If we lose even a portion of our funding, we will lose jobs," said Holek. "Currently, we have two full-time and one part-time employee. The opportunities we offer students will be put on hold as we try and maintain basic federal compliance as a radio station.”

Some U of W students have gained experience in broadcasting at CJAM, including Toronto Maple Leafs broadcaster Joe Bowen, according to the petition.

The plan has already caused concern for students across the province, including U of W, where rallies have taken place taking the initiative to task. Holek said he understands that the cost of post-secondary education is rising and the Students Choice Initiative will help those who want to start college or university be able to afford it, but his main concern is ensuring students have the opportunities to enter specific fields after graduation.

"I realise students do not have a lot of money to begin with, but it places organisations like us in biannual uncertainty," said Holek. "It will cause massive cutbacks for campus media across Ontario, and many students will realise too late that they have lost opportunities not only on campus but after graduation.”

CJAM first signed on the air in 1983 at 91.5 FM and switched to its current frequency in 2009. Its signal covers much of Essex County as well as the city of Detroit and some of its suburbs. It offers a wide variety of programming, including music of a variety of genres not typically heard on mainstream commercial radio. It also broadcasts foreign language programming, news and public affairs shows, and U of W sports broadcasts.

To read the petition, visit CJAM's official website.

Read More Local Stories