One critical following overnight house fire
One person is hospitalized after a house fire in Windsor early Sunday morning.
Windsor Fire and Rescue said they were called around 2 a.m. to a home on Pillette Rd. near Metcalfe St. on a report of a house fire.
The homeowner, who had initially escaped the house safely, went back in to retrieve a pet and suffered severe smoke inhalation. He remains in critical condition at Windsor Regional Hospital Metropolitan campus.
An investigator from the Ontario Fire Marshal’s Office was at the scene Sunday morning. It was determined that the fire was started by unattended cooking. Damage is estimated at $200,000 for the structure, $100,000 for contents, and $40,000 exposure to the unit next door.
Fire officials say a total of three people have been displaced.
Pillette fire, kitchen fire caused by unattended cooking, owner reentered home to retrieve a dog, damage 200k structure 100k contents, 40k exposure to adjacent unit. Owner still in critical condition, smoke inhalation. *JL
— Windsor Fire (@WindsorFire1) November 25, 2018