UPDATE: Windsor house fire snarls morning traffic

(BlackburnNews.com file photo)

Officials with the Windsor fire department said a Friday morning house fire started on the outside of the structure and was caused by careless smoking.

The fire on Dougall Avenue between Tecumseh Road West and Wear Street started around 6 a.m., and at one point shut down Dougall to traffic.

Nobody was hurt.

Fire officials say the damage is now estimated at $285,000.

Windsor Fire and Rescue Services would like to remind people that if you are smoking outside to properly extinguish and discard your smoking materials in a deep ashtray or can filled with sand or water. Officials urge people to not flick their cigarette butts off a balcony or porch.