UPDATE: Evacuation Over In Uptown LeamingtonOctober 1, 2016 2:41pm
An underground natural gas eruption in uptown Leamington prompted an evacuation Saturday.
The leak was found around 1:15pm and according to Leamington fire chief Chuck Parsons, was detected by an odor at the International Hotel on Erie St and Mill St.
“When Union Gas arrived they took readings and there was a high level of natural gas in the sewers below the building,” said Parsons.
The Ontario Provincial Police and Leamington Fire Services evacuated everyone in the area of Erie St. N, Talbot St. E, Princess St. and Russell St.
Leamington Mayor James Paterson said that as of 3:30pm the area was secured and there were no reports of injuries or property damage. He said he was grateful to whoever noticed that something was wrong and phoned it in.
“I was just thankful that whoever noticed the gas leak was able to respond or report to the right people, and our first responders were quick on the scene,” said Paterson.
Union Gas said in a tweet that the leak was repaired by 5pm. About a hundred people were affected by the evacuation.