UPDATE: Fire At Staples Under Investigation

BlackburnNews.com file photo of a Windsor Fire and Rescue Services fire engine.

An electrical power bar failure is to blame for a fire that caused over $1-million in damage inside a Windsor Staples store.

The Windsor Fire and Rescue Service says firefighters were called to Staples location on Tecumseh Rd. E around 1pm on Wednesday, and were at the scene for around three hours. The sprinkler system also activated as a result of the fire.

Fire officials say the blaze started at the rear of the building with the damage occurring to the interior of the store.

An investigator from the Ontario Fire Marshall’s Office attended the scene on Thursday to determine that the power bar was the cause of the fire. Fire officials also say the blaze spread when the fire exploded two lithium batteries that were stored nearby.

Damage is estimated at around $1.5-million, but fire officials say the total may be higher.