Petition Looks To Restart Mega Hospital ProcessApril 15, 2016 5:23pm
A petition with over 1,100 signatures looking to restart the planning process for a new mega hospital for Windsor-Essex is off to Queen’s Park.
The group Citizens for an Accountable Mega hospital Planning Process is behind the petition as its members are upset with the planned location of the new hospital on County Rd. 42 and the process that led to its selection.
Philippa Von Ziegenweidt with CAMPP doesn’t see the petition as the last gasp in the group’s efforts.
“We’re by far not done. This is just one piece of our strategy and we’re still collecting signatures,” says Von Ziegenweidt. “We need people to listen to our dissatisfaction here.”
Von Ziegenweidt claims the planning process for the new single-site hospital and restructured health services in the region hasn’t been open and transparent.
She’s happy with the number of people the group was able to signatures from.
“It shows that people are really passionate about what’s happening and I think it shows that there we’re very dissatisfied with the process so far, so it’s fantastic,” says Von Ziegenweidt.
Howard Weeks with CAMPP isn’t worried about what restarting the planning process might mean for securing provincial funding for the project — he feels a re-think of the project is needed.
“In a nutshell, we want to step back. We don’t want to worry about where it’s [new single-site hospital] going to be — well we do — but we want to worry about the whole process right from the start,” says Weeks.
The steering committee behind the planning process has held a number of public meetings on the matter since 2012, most recently in Amherstburg where residents were largely in favour of plans for restructured healthcare in the region.
The petition was brought to Windsor West MPP Lisa Gretzky’s office on Friday morning.