Society of St. Vincent de Paul store on Wyandotte St. E. in Windsor. (photo by Mike Vlasveld)

St. Vincent de Paul Blaze Discouraging

A fire at the St. Vincent de Paul on Wyandotte St. E. is forcing the society to cope with just one store in Windsor for the foreseeable future.

A couch dumped at the back door of the store was set on fire Sunday afternoon, destroying the door and filling the building with smoke. President of the society’s Windsor-Essex central council Pam Baksi isn’t sure exactly how much damage was done, but she expects the insurance deductible to be sizeable. “We’re only committed to serving those in need, and to have this sort of thing happen for a second time at that location, it’s discouraging.”

About a year ago, a stack of wooden pallets behind the St. Vincent de Paul’s Wyandotte St. location was set on fire with minimal damage done to the building.

Baksi’s encouraging anyone with St. Vincent de Paul vouchers to visit the location on Chilver Rd.