Pets Die In House Fire

Several animals are dead after fire ripped through a Dundalk Dr. home.

Fire crews were called to a home on Dundalk Dr. just after 3pm this afternoon.

Investigators say two dogs and one lizard died in the fire. A fire fighter was hurt while battling the blaze, but not seriously.

Officials say the flames and smoke were heavy at times. The fire started in the dining area of the home and quickly spread.

Damage is pegged at over $110,000.

It is believed a faulty appliance sparked the fire, but the cause remains under investigation.

The homeowner had working smoke alarms. No one was home when the fire broke out.

Fire crews say when the homeowner returned she entered the burning building to try to save her pets, along with a neighbour. Officials say while their attempt was courageous, no one should ever enter a building engulfed in flames.