Sarnia man sentenced in death of mother of two

Natalie Bartlett. Image courtesy of @SusanTruppe Twitter

A Sarnia man convicted of murder in the death of Natalie Bartlett last January has been sentenced to life in prison with no eligibility of parole for 15 years.

Justice Bruce Thomas delivered the decision to Joseph DiCarlo during a hearing at Sarnia courthouse Thursday.

DiCarlo, 46, pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of second degree murder in the death of the mother of two at a home on Lee Court on January 14, 2021.

After listening to victim impact statements, DiCarlo read his own prepared statement.

“On January 14, I was not myself, in fact I was in the worst mental and physical state of my life,” DiCarlo said. “I had been drinking heavily, abusing anti-anxiety prescriptions and struggling with day to day functions.”

DiCarlo said “Natalie did not deserve to die.”

“I will use the remainder of my sentence to facilitate a positive change, adjust how to handle my emotions and build on my sobriety to ensure that I’m effectively able to re-integrate back into the community.”

He concluded by apologizing to Natalie and her loved ones.

“I realize that an apology means very little at this point,” DiCarlo said. “But I respectfully offer it regardless.”

Former London North Centre MP Susan Truppe shared a few words and a photo of her 39-year-old niece on Twitter Wednesday.

“WE CALLED HER NATALIE!,” the post read. “My dear niece was brutally murdered by her partner Jan 2021. I’m allowed to say that now! Joe DiCarlo pleaded guilty 2 2nd degree murder after shooting Nat @least 8 times.”

Truppe went on to thank her followers for their support, kind words and generosity to a GOFUNDME campaign.

The fundraiser, which is now disabled to new donations, raised nearly $55,000 for Bartlett’s daughters.