Three arrested, loaded handgun seized in $55K drug bust
A 17-year-old allegedly armed with a loaded handgun was arrested for drug trafficking following a foot chase and a struggle with Sarnia police Tuesday night.
Vice Unit officers watching a male suspect from Hamilton stopped a vehicle just after 9 p.m. in the area of Mandaumin Road and Michigan Line after an alleged drug deal.
During the arrest, police said the suspect broke free and led police on a brief foot chase. As the suspect was taken down and handcuffed, a handgun was seen underneath him. Police seized a 45 calibre, Gen 4, Glock 21 handgun and an airsoft handgun, over $51,000 worth of crystal meth, nearly $3,900 worth of fentanyl, and over $300 worth of cocaine and crack cocaine.
The teen, who cannot be named under the Youth Criminal Justice Act, is facing a total of 14 charges:
- Six counts of failing to comply with release
- Three counts of failing to comply with sentence
- Two counts of trafficking a controlled substance
- Use firearm while committing an offence
- Careless storage of a firearm
- Possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose
- Carrying a concealed weapon
- Unauthorized possession of a firearm
- Knowledge of unauthorized possession of a firearm
- Possession of a loaded restricted firearm
- Possession of a firearm or ammunition contrary to a Prohibition Order
- Possession of a firearm knowing serial number has been tampered with
- Resist Peace Officer
- Escape lawful custody
Two other occupants in the vehicle were also arrested.
Clinton Dwayne Bressette, 45, of Kettle and Stoney Point, and Veronica Monique Ayala, 24, of Sarnia, each face two counts of possession for the purpose of trafficking. Ayala faces an additional charge of possession of a controlled substance.
All three suspects were being held for bail hearings.