OHL cancels regular season, Sting done
The Sarnia Sting’s 2019-2020 season is officially over.
The Ontario Hockey League announced the cancellation of the remainder of its regular season Wednesday, which means the Sting will not play their final six scheduled games, including five home games.
The Sting, who had already been eliminated from playoff contention, will finish the season last in the OHL’s Western Conference with 50 points.
The team said it will follow up with a formal message regarding unused tickets due to the cancellation of the 2019-2020 season. When the OHL initially suspended play, the Sting said that any tickets for any remaining regular season games would be honoured for the rescheduled dates.
A league media release confirmed that the 2020 OHL Priority Selection will take place on Saturday, April 4 beginning at 9 a.m., with the Sting holding the third overall pick.
OHL Commissioner David Branch left the door open for the possibility of playoff games still being played.
“We are continuing to monitor ongoing public health developments regarding COVID-19. When it is safe and we may resume play, we will advise on the status of the 2020 OHL Playoffs. We thank OHL players and their families, fans and partners for their continued patience and understanding throughout this challenging situation.”
The OHL’s decision to cancel the regular season follows similar announcements by its counterparts in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League and the Western Hockey League.