Smoke alarm alerts residents to fire

Sarnia Fire Truck on London Line. April 26, 2019. (Photo by Colin Gowdy, BlackburnNews)

A working smoke alarm alerted occupants of a home on Bright Street to a fire early Wednesday morning and ensured they escaped safely.

Sarnia Fire and Rescue Services was called to the 300 block around 4:45 a.m.

Public Education Officer Mike Otis said flames were visible at the front of the home on arrival. He said crews conducted a search and quickly extinguished the fire, containing most of it to the exterior of the home.

Otis said no one was injured.

The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental.

Sarnia fire is reminding residents to check the batteries in their smoke alarms, always fully extinguish smoking materials and never throw smoking materials in planters, peat moss or mulch.