Passerby alerts residents to Corunna fire

A shed fire in Corunna - June 12/19 (Photo courtesy of Derek Wilson)

Damage is estimated at about $35,000 after a fire in Corunna early Wednesday morning.

St. Clair Township Fire Chief Walt Anderson said the Corunna station was called to a structure fire on Avondale Drive.

Firefighters responded at about 1:30 a.m. and he said they arrived to find a shed containing a hot-tub and fence fully engulfed in flames.

“No injuries were reported,” said Anderson. “A passerby knocked on the door and a dog barking inside woke everybody and they got out of the house. There was no real smoke damage in the house either.”

Anderson said the heat from the fire melted siding on the homeowners home as well as a neighbouring house.

He said the cause is believed to be electrical.