Tenants escape, pet perishes in Easter morning fireApril 21, 2019 12:02pm
An early morning basement fire in the 100 block of Crawford Street was quickly brought under control by Sarnia Fire and Rescue early Easter Sunday.
Fire prevention officer Roel Bus said the main floor occupants escaped through a window and the upstairs tenant was able to come down the front stairs, despite smoke pouring out of the vents on the second floor.
No one was injured and while two cats were brought out safely, one pet did perish in the fire.
The damage to the two storey structure is estimated at $150,000.
Bus said the cause of the fire was related to the water heater venting, and is classified as accidental.
Sarnia Fire Rescue Services reminds the public to leave at least three feet or one metre of space between your fuel fired appliances and combustibles.
And do not store combustibles near your appliances.