Sarnia gets $10M to prevent flooding
The City of Sarnia is getting $10.4 million in federal funding to help alleviate basement flooding and overflows into the St. Clair River.
Local dignitaries, city staff and union members gathered in Centennial Park near Sarnia Bay Thursday morning for the announcement by Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Infrastructure and Communities Marco Mendicino.
“Project work includes replacing existing sewers with dedicated storm and sanitary sewers and will require significant reconstruction on the streets of Wellington and Devine,” said Mendicino. “Completion of this project will help counter basement flooding in the core area of the city during severe storms. The project will also improve water quality, by reducing the overflows into the St. Clair River, protecting the health and safety of downstream residents.”
The money, from the Disaster Mitigation and Adaptation Fund, will be paid over 10 years.
Director of Engineering Mike Berkvens said it will accelerate the city’s combined sewer separation project south of Wellington Street, from the St. Clair River to East Street.
He said crews will wrap up last year’s project along John and Mary streets this spring, and then focus on Essex Street where 11 new residential lots are being created in the redevelopment of the former Sarnia General Hospital site.
Mayor Mike Bradley said the city has come a long way.
“In the mid-1980s, every time it rained in Sarnia we had tremendous damage done to the south end of the city,” said Bradley. “One year alone, we had two so-called 100-year storms. It was devastating. We had over 600 homes that had raw sewage in their basements and fear when [residents] lost their insurance after that. The city paid out millions and millions of deductible. No one should live in fear of their home in the rain.”
Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Infrastructure and Communities @marcomendicino announces $10.4 million over 10 years for Sarnia’s flooding and overflow mitigation project. #SLont pic.twitter.com/V39RfjSHeW
— Melanie Irwin (@MIrwinCHOKNews) March 28, 2019