House fire on Samuel St. Feb 28, 2018. Photo courtesy of Sarnia Fire and Rescue via twitter.

Two Cooking-Related House Fires Wednesday

Sarnia Fire and Rescue was called to two cooking-related structure fires Wednesday.

Unattended cooking was blamed for a $100,000 blaze in a two-storey multi-unit home in the 100-block of Samuel St. at around 2am.

Public Education Officer Mike Otis says crews responded at about 4:30pm to another fire that started in the kitchen area of a single-storey home on Grey Cr.

“Unattended cooking or unsafe cooking is the number one cause of house fires,” says Otis. “In fac, the last four structure fires Sarnia Fire has gone to, have been cooking related.”

Otis says it’s important to cook with caution, but if something does go wrong call 911.

“If you have the proper fire extinguisher and you know how to use it, it is safe to do on a small controlled fire,” he says. “If there is any doubt, we would like you to exit the house, close the door behind you and call 911 as soon as possible. We don’t want anyone putting their life in jeopardy and the most important thing is that you get out safely.”

The fire on Grey Cr. was contained to the stove area with damage estimated at $60,000.

Otis says the occupants got out safely in both fires.