House fire on Samuel St. Feb 28, 2018. Photo courtesy of Sarnia Fire and Rescue via twitter.

Unattended Cooking Causes Sarnia House Fire

Unattended cooking caused an early morning house fire in Sarnia.

Firefighters responded to a two-storey multi-unit home in the 100-block of Samuel St. at around 2am.

City Fire Prevention Officer Roel Bus says nobody was hurt and occupants, living on three levels, were able to get out safely.

The fire was contained to the second storey.

He says it started when combustibles near the top of stove ignited. The fire moved into the wall and the attic, rendering the structure unsafe for occupation.

Damage is estimated at $100,000.