Sarnia Fire Pushes Proper Use of CO Detectors

We’re being reminded about the proper use of carbon monoxide detectors following the deaths of three Brampton residents yesterday. The three were discovered by a family member and the house did have a working warning device.

Public Education Officer Tom Marshall says do not position them close to your furnace or fireplace. He says the devices should be placed outside sleeping areas and five feet above the floor, at least a metre away from appliances.

And, while CO detectors may provide and extra measure of warning, they do not substitute for regular inspection and maintenance of appliances, vents, flues and chimneys.