Fire department reminding residents of chimney safety following recent fire

(BlackburnNews.com file photo)

A recent fire in Harriston has fire officials warning residents to properly maintain their chimneys.

On January 16th at 12:30 p.m., the Minto Fire Department Harriston Station was called to a report of a chimney fire at a rural residence east of Harriston. Upon arrival, there were flames venting out some of the second storey windows. Everyone in the building made it out safe. The Palmerston and Clifford Stations were dispatched to the incident, with mutual aid from Wellington North Fire. Investigation determined the fire started in the wall of the chimney, travelling up to the attic.

The cause of the fire has been deemed accidental with an estimated damage of $200,000. Fire officials are reminding residents to regularly clean and maintain fireplaces and chimneys.

Safety Tips:
-Clean your fire box after every fire.
-Keep your chimney maintained.
-Ensure no fuels (such as newspaper, tissues, blankets, kindling) are within 1 meter of the
fireplace.
-Use a fireplace screen.
-Only burn approved fuels.
-Never leave a fire unattended.
-Position logs near the back of the fireplace.
-Install a carbon monoxide alarm in your home.
-Keep a fire extinguisher nearby.