Project Zero aimed at eliminating fire and carbon monoxide deathsNovember 8, 2019 2:09pm
Municipality of Brockton Fire Services is working with Enbridge Gas to improve home safety and bring fire and carbon monoxide-related deaths down to zero.
The Fire Services received 114 combination smoke and carbon monoxide alarms through Project Zero.
When properly installed and maintained, combination smoke and carbon monoxide alarms help provide the early warning to safely escape from a house fire or carbon monoxide exposure
Carbon monoxide is a toxic, odourless gas that is a by-product of incomplete combustion of many types of common fuels.
Project Zero is a public education campaign that will provide more than 9,100 alarms to residents in 40 municipalities across Ontario. This year, Enbridge Gas Inc. invested $275,000 in Project Zero, and over the past 11 years, the program has provided more than 44,356 alarms to Ontario fire departments.
“Carbon monoxide is known as the ‘silent killer’ for a reason, and we have proof that prevention saves lives. We know that the best way to avoid carbon monoxide exposure is to eliminate it at the source by properly maintaining fuel-burning equipment and that the alarms are a critical second line of defence to protect against carbon monoxide poisoning,” said Murray Costello, director of operations for GTA West and Southeast Regions Enbridge Gas Inc.
“The objective of Project Zero is to deliver combination smoke and carbon monoxide alarms to Ontario communities who need them the most,” said Jon Pegg, Ontario Fire Marshal and Chief, Emergency Management. “It’s a program that municipal fire departments can adopt to help educate their communities about the requirement for all Ontario homes to have a CO alarm if they have a fuel-burning appliance or an attached garage.”
“It is our hope that the alarms provided by Project Zero will allow our department to help promote and educate the community and to protect residents of the Municipality of Brockton in homes where smoke and CO alarms are needed most,” said Chris Wells, Municipal Fire Prevention Officer.