Bruce Power Fined After Worker InjuredDecember 6, 2017 3:08pm
Bruce Power was fined $110,000 Wednesday in Owen Sound Court after a worker suffered critical injuries doing generator maintenance.
On February 1, 2016, a worker was drilling a hole in the Number 8 Generator at Bruce B Generating Station to remove a bore plug when flames flared from the hole and injured the worker.
Court heard the flames resulted after hydrogen was released from the pressurized containment in the rotor core. Hydrogen mixed with air and multiple ignition sources, such as a work light.
Manufacturer GE had made a technical information letter available, recommending the rotor core be purged of hydrogen for maintenance work, however the information was not shared with the team working on the project.