UPDATE: Radon Responsible For 20% Of Grey Bruce Lung Cancer DeathsOctober 30, 2017 2:41pm
The Grey Bruce Health Unit says about 20% of lung cancer deaths in Grey Bruce were due to radon. Province-wide, it is behind 16% of lung cancer deaths.
The health unit is offering free radon test kits to detect the presence of the naturally occurring dangerous gas.
Radon exposure is the second leading cause of lung cancer behind smoking.
The colourless and odourless gas can enter a home anywhere there is contact with the ground and can accumulate.
Test kits are left in the home for three months, and then mailed away for analysis.
Free radon test kits are available, while supplies last, at:
- Grey Bruce Health Unit: 101 17th St. E, Owen Sound
- South East Grey Community Health Centre: 44 Victoria St., Markdale
- Lion’s Head Family Health Team: 24 Moore St., Lion’s Head
- Huron Kinloss Municipal Office: 21 Queen St., Ripley
- Town of Hanover: 341 10th St., Hanover
- West Grey Municipal Office: 402813 Rd. 4, Durham
- Town of Blue Mountains: 32 Mill St., Thornbury
- Municipality of Arran-Elderslie: 1925 Bruce Rd. 10, Chesley
- Municipality of Brockton: 100 Scott St., Walkerton