Arrange Your Ride Home Before You Head Out Tonight
The OPP are asking motorists to make sure they arrange for a safe ride home from New Year’s Eve festivities well in advance.
Police say any amount of alcohol or drug consumption impairs your judgement and skill level. If you plan to drink, don’t drive.
OPP say if you plan ahead, you can prevent an awkward and dangerous situation when it’s time to head home.
If you do plan to drive tonight, then you should stick to non alcoholic beverages.
The OPP will be on the roads ensuring motorists are being safe and responsible as they ring in the New Year.
The OPP offers the following suggestions to ensure motorists are safe this New Year:
- Plan ahead and make a backup plan for a safe ride home.
- Use a designated driver.
- If you are a designated driver, avoid alcohol completely.
- Hire a taxi ahead of time or use other forms of public transit.
- If you are hosting an event, identify the designated drivers as such.
- Don’t serve alcohol to excess and be prepared to have your guests sleep over.
- Do not accept a ride from anyone who has been drinking or who is under the influence.
- If you see someone about to drive while impaired, call police immediately.