(© Can Stock Photo / ibreakstock)(© Can Stock Photo / ibreakstock)
Midwestern

Local students attending first ever Youth Climate Action Conference

Roughly 50 students in grades 6-8 will be attending the first ever Youth Climate Action Conference in Owen Sound.

The conference will be held on March 2 from 8:45 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. at the Harmony Centre in Owen Sound, and is being organized by local teacher Hilary Coburn and the Climate Action Team Owen Sound group. Students will be educated by a group of presenters in the morning, and then will be tasked with creating their own Community Climate Action Projects during afternoon workshops.

The conference will feature over 25 climate advocates and volunteers from around the area to engage the students in learning about and strengthening local municipal climate strategies.

According to organizers, guests will include MP Alex Ruff, Bluewater District School Board Superintendents, Trustees and Owen Sound & Georgian Bluff City Councillors.

Morning presenters include:

Dr. John Anderson, Climate Scientist and Climate Activist

Natasha & Christopher Akiwenzie, Chippewas of Nawash environmental leaders of Bagida’waad Alliance

Randy Scherzer, Deputy CAO for the County of Grey

Jon Farmer, City Councillor and Supervisor of the Men’s Program

Liz Zetlin, Filmmaker, Environmental Activist, and Poet

Emily Mansur, Saugeen Ojibway Nation Coastal Waters Monitoring Manager

Joachim Ostertag, Community Coordinator and Climate Activist

Organizer and teacher Hilary Coburn says she feels no option but to encourage community action and collaboration in the face of the climate crisis.

“As you know, climate change is the most pressing issue of our time; and our local youth deserve the opportunity, and are our best hope, to become climate action leaders and heroes," Coburn shared. "Our youth also possess a magical power to have local politicians, businesses and leaders listen to their questions and creative problem solving ideas. My cup is filled with hope and positive energy. I truly look forward to seeing what Community Climate Action Projects our local student leaders will create and challenge our city with."

Read More Local Stories