Local unemployment rate continues to be lowest in provinceNovember 8, 2019 10:52am
One of the lowest unemployment rates in the province is in the Stratford-to-Bruce Peninsula economic region.
In October, the rate decreased by 1.1 percentage points, to 3.1 per cent.
The provincial unemployment rate saw a decrease of 0.4 percentage points to 5.4 per cent.
Overall employment in the region increased by 1,900, with gains in both full time and part-time positions.
The number of Goods-producing sector employees increased by 1,100 in the Perth, Huron, Bruce, Grey region. The greatest gains were in Manufacturing and Utilities.
There were job losses in Educational services.
News for the region’s economy includes:
– the Comfort Inn has opened in Goderich
– a new childcare centre has opened in Saugeen Shores
– the Sydenham Innovation Campus has opened in Owen Sound as a regional business and training centre
– in association with the Bruce Power MCR project, Globotech and KEPCO both opened offices in Saugeen Shores
– NPX in Kincardine is expanding to a second office location
– TetraTech Canada is also expanding with new office space in Kincardine.