COVID-19 case confirmed at London school

Photo of Sir Frederick Banting Secondary School courtesy of Google Street View.

The Middlesex-London Health Unit is reporting another confirmed case of COVID-19 at a London-area school.

The health unit said on Friday that a positive case of COVID-19 has been identified at Sir Frederick Banting Secondary School in London. The staff and parents/guardians of all Banting students have been notified of the positive case.

The Thames Valley District School Board has not stated if it was a student or staff member who tested positive for privacy reasons.

“If you are not contacted by the MLHU, your child is not considered to be at risk,” said Thames Valley Education Director Mark Fisher in a news release. “Only students and staff who are at risk will be contacted by MLHU and will be asked to remain in self-isolation for a period of 14 days.”

The school will remain open and all school buses will continue to operate.

The health unit previously reported a positive case of the virus at Northdale Central Public School in Dorchester on Tuesday. As well, it was announced on Monday that a second person at Sir Arthur Currie Public School had tested positive, leading to a declaration of an outbreak at the school. There was also a case reported Monday at Mary Wright Public School in Strathroy.

All confirmed active COVID-19 cases at Thames Valley schools are being tracked on the board’s website.