London records 2 new COVID cases, 2 recoveries

A couple wearing face masks walk through a mall. File photo courtesy of © Can Stock Photo / dolgachov

For the second consecutive day, London and Middlesex County reported two new COVID-19 cases and two recoveries from the virus.

The additional cases confirmed on Friday bring the region’s total case count since the start of the pandemic to 695. Including Friday’s cases, there have been 12 lab-confirmed cases so far this week, with the largest single-day increase on Wednesday when four cases were reported.

Two more people previously confirmed to have COVID-19 have recovered over the past 24 hours, bringing the area’s total number of resolved cases to 621.

There has not been a death in the city or county since June 12, leaving the death toll unchanged at 57.

In Elgin and Oxford counties, the number of cases went up by three again on Friday. It is the third straight day Southwestern Public health has reported three new COVID-19 cases. The two counties’ total number of cases now stands at 223. The number of resolved cases went up by seven since Thursday to 157. The death toll is five with no additional deaths since July 3.

Ontario saw a slight rise in new COVID-19 cases as data from Toronto that was missing on Thursday was included in Friday’s numbers.

Public health officials said there were 92 new cases over the past 24 hours. That is up from 78 on Thursday when patient data from Toronto was not available.

The province has now recorded a total of 40,459 cases since the pandemic began.

One additional person in Ontario died from COVID-19 on Friday, bringing the death toll to 2,788.

Recoveries were up by 83 with a total of 36,772 resolved cases now confirmed.

The number of infected requiring hospitalization is down again. There are currently 41 people in hospital, 17 of which are being treated in the intensive care unit.

“The number of vented patients has declined to single digits, with nine Ontarians on ventilators,” Health Minister Christine Elliott said in a tweet.

The province has conducted more than 2.5 million COVID-19 tests since the start of the year. Of those, 30,000 were done over the last 24 hours.