Two dogs rescued from burning home

Firefighters work to extinguish a fire at 1125 Gatewood Rd., August 12, 2020. Photo courtesy of the London Fire Department.

Firefighters were able to save two dogs trapped inside a northeast London home that caught fire on Wednesday.

Fire crews were called to the home at 1125 Gatewood Rd., north of Huron Street just after 8 a.m.

“There was smoke showing when we arrived on scene,” said Platoon Chief Kirk Loveland. “It was severe… We had to use forceful entry to get in and found a fully involved structure fire.”

By 9 a.m., firefighters had extinguished the blaze and were searching the attic to make sure there were no fire extensions hiding within the walls or roof.

No injuries were reported. Two dogs rescued from inside the home were also unharmed.

A dollar loss has not yet been determined, but according to Loveland, damage to the kitchen is substantial.

“We believe that is the area of origin at this time. However, it is under investigation. There was also smoke damage throughout the structure.”

A fire investigator arrived on scene shortly before 10 a.m. to determine the official cause of the blaze.