COVID-19 cases in London up by four

File photo courtesy of © Can Stock Photo / vichie81.

For the first time this month, public health officials in the London-area are reporting more than three new cases of COVID-19 in a single day.

The Middlesex London Health Unit said on Wednesday four more people had tested positive for the virus. That is in addition to three lab-confirmed cases reported on Tuesday, making for seven cases over two days and 691 cases since the start of the pandemic.

The last time the region saw more than three cases in one day was on July 31 when five infections were reported.

Four more people previously diagnosed with COVID-19 have recovered in London-Middlesex, bringing the total number of resolved cases to 617.

As of Wednesday, there has not been a death in the city or county related to the virus in two months, leaving the death toll at 57.

There has not been an active institutional outbreak locally in a week.

In Elgin and Oxford counties, there were was a slight decrease in the number of daily cases reported. Southwestern Public Health said only three additional cases were confirmed over the past 24 hours. That is down from five on Tuesday and seven on Monday.
The two counties’ total number of cases since the start of the pandemic stands at 217. There was a big jump in the number of resolved cases. They went up by 12 since Tuesday to 152. The death toll is five with no additional deaths since July 3.

The number of new COVID-19 cases in Ontario jumped a day after hitting its lowest number since March 18.

Public health officials reported 95 new cases on Wednesday, up from Tuesday’s 33 new infections.

Twenty-eight of Ontario’s 34 public health units reported five or fewer cases, with 16 of them reporting no new cases.

The province now has a total case count of 40,289.

There was one new death over the last 24 hours, bringing the total death toll up to 2,787.

“With 134 more resolved, we continue to see a decline in the number of active cases. Hospitalizations, ICU admissions and vented patients all decreased as well,” Health Minister Christine Elliott tweeted.

Ontario’s total number of resolved cases is 36,590.

Since Tuesday, more than 24,000 additional COVID-19 tests were conducted across the province.