Brantford murder suspect arrested in London

Shajjad Hossain Idrish, 22, of Hamilton (left) and Roger Earl VanEvery, 35, of Brantford (right). Photos courtesy of the Brantford Police Service.

A 22-year-old man accused in the shooting death of one man and the attempted murder of two others at a Brantford motel has been arrested in London’s Old South neighbourhood.

Police surrounded a three-storey apartment building in the area of Wellington Road and Grand Avenue around 5:30 a.m. Friday. Officers with the London police K9 and emergency response units assisted Brantford police in the early-morning takedown.

Shajjad Hossain Idrish, 22, of Hamilton, was arrested shortly after police flooded the area.

He is charged with murder, attempted murder with a firearm, conspiracy to commit murder, possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose, unauthorized possession of a firearm, using a firearm in the commission of an offence, carrying a concealed weapon, and careless use of a firearm.

The charges stem from a shooting last Saturday morning at the Galaxy Motel on Colborne Street East in Brantford. Officers responding to calls about an injured man found three men, aged 42, 26, and 25, suffering from gunshot wounds. All three were taken to hospital, where the 42-year-old man died from his injuries. As of Friday, the 26-year-old and 25-year-old remain in hospital.

This is Brantford’s first homicide of 2020. Police have reassured the public that the shooting was not a random act of violence.

Two men, who have not been publicly identified, were arrested in connection with the shooting on Monday. Arrest warrants were then issued for Idrish and Roger Earl VanEvery, 35, of Brantford.

VanEvery, who is wanted on charges of murder, attempted murder with a firearm, and conspiracy to commit murder, remains on the run. He is described as Indigenous, 5’9”, 170 lbs, with dark hair, brown eyes, and a “13” tattooed on his upper right arm. He may be in the Brantford or Hamilton area.

Police have said VanEvery should be considered armed and dangerous. They ask anyone who spots the 35-year-old murder suspect not to approach him, but to call 911.

The shooting is not believed to be a random act of violence and the investigation is ongoing.