Unattended cooking blamed for house fire

London firefighters battle a house fire at 172 Egerton Street, October 21, 2019. Photo courtesy of the London Fire Department.

A house fire Monday morning in London’s southeast end is believed to have started as a result of cooking that was left unattended.

London firefighters were called to 172 Egerton St. around 9:30 a.m. after smoke and flames were seen coming out of the home.

“The crews attacked the fire in an offensive strategy and encountered a kitchen fire inside the residence and heavy smoke,” said Platoon Chief Kirk Loveland.

The homeowner had been outside in the yard when she noticed the fire and attempted to douse the flames herself.

“911 was called and she tried to put the fire out with a garden hose. Because she was doing that she took in some smoke but did not want to be transported to hospital,” said Loveland.

He added that the blaze serves as a reminder as to why people should never leave the kitchen while they are cooking, as fire can spread very quickly.

A damage estimate has not yet been determined. However, the home isn’t believed to be a write-off.

“The house sustained substantial fire damage to the kitchen and heavy smoke damage throughout the house, but structurally the house will be fine,” said Loveland.