Southeast-end home severely damaged by fire

Firefighters spray hotspots after a house fire at 204 Millbank Dr., September 10, 2019. (Photo by Scott Kitching, Blackburn News.)

Damage is said to be extensive following a house fire in a southeast London neighbourhood Tuesday morning.

London firefighters were called to the blaze at a two-storey home on Millbank Drive, near Stanhope Crescent around 4:20 a.m.

“There were three vehicles in front involved and the front side of the house was involved upon arrival of crews,” said District Fire Chief Scott Turnbull.

It is not yet known whether the fire started in the home and spread to the vehicles or began in the vehicles and spread to the residence.

“At this point, there is no determination on origin of where the fire started,” said Turnbull. “The home is very severely damaged. Between the fire and the significant amount of water we had to use to ensure that the fire was completely out. So there is a lot of water weight on it, as well as a lot of fire damage.”

Damages from a fire at 204 Millbank Dr., September 10, 2019. (Photo by Scott Kitching, Blackburn News.)

Damages from a fire at 204 Millbank Dr.

The siding of a neighbouring home was also damaged due to the intensity of the heat from the fire.

The London Fire Department said the initial damage estimate is $300,000.

Turnbull said extinguishing the fire proved tricky due to the large amount of possessions inside the home.

“There was a significant hoarding issue with this residence, it made our job quite arduous as far as the fire fighting and fire suppression end of it,” said Turnbull. “Access definitely was hindered… The guys did a good job based on what they had to deal with.”

While the occupants were able to escape the blaze before fire crews arrived, one person had to be taken to hospital with minor injuries.

The Ontario Fire Marshal has been called in to assist local fire inspectors with the investigation.

Police closed a section of Millbank between Shaftesbury Avenue and Ebury Crescent as crews battled the blaze. It has since been reopened.