Gas leak leads to temporary evacuation
April 16, 2019 12:52pm
Part of a southeast London neighbourhood was temporarily evacuated after a gas line was accidentally severed Tuesday.
Workers were repairing a driveway at 151 Chesterfield Ave., near Westlake Street when the gas line was cut, causing a natural gas leak just after 11 a.m.
The incident prompted the evacuation of several homes in the Glen Cairn neighbourhood as a safety precaution, London fire officials on scene said. Residents were allowed to return less than half an hour later after natural gas to the area was shut off by Union Gas.
Crews anticipate the severed line will be repaired by the end of the day.