Police investigating threat of violence at Middlesex high school

(BlackburnNews.com file photo by Matt Weverink)

Provincial police are investigating a threat of violence at a Middlesex high school, less than one month after another threat was made at the same school.

Middlesex OPP were contacted on Monday by a parent of a student after receiving a text message suggesting that an unknown person had planned a “violent act” at North Middlesex District High School.

OPP officers attended the school on Tuesday to ensure the safety of students, and to further conduct an investigation.

“Middlesex OPP and school administrators continue to work collaboratively in regards to this investigation,” said Constable Max Gomez. “While we are aware of a recent spike of similar investigations in the area, the OPP is committed to working with school communities to provide a safe learning environment for all students. If proved to be a hoax, the OPP is equally committed to hold whoever is responsible accountable.”

Police said the threat is still under investigation but so far it appears to be unsubstantiated.

A similar incident took place in mid-November when a bomb threat was directed at the North Middlesex school on social media. The threat was determined to be a hoax and a youth was arrested and charged with two counts of mischief.

Anyone with information regarding the recent threat investigation asked to contact the OPP at 1-888-310-1122 or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS).