Fundraiser Launched For Tolpuddle Fire Victims

Photo by Miranda Chant, BlackburnNews.com

An online fundraising effort has been launched for people who were displaced by a fire at a downtown housing co-op.

The blaze at the Tolpuddle co-op on King St. broke out around 11:30 Sunday night, causing an estimated $800,000 in damage and sending a six-year-old boy to hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation. Twelve families were displaced by the fire. According to a GoFundMe page that has been set up to help those affected by the fire, four of the families will be displaced for more than six months.

“We are hoping that the remaining eight will be able to return to their homes at the end of this month,” a statement on the GoFundMe page says.

The organizer of the campaign, Sherry Tesky, says they are in desperate need of household and personal items and gifts of cash to help the families get back on their feet.

The GoFundMe page can be found by clicking here.