Crime Spree Ends With Charges

A Waterloo man is facing a dozen charges after a crime spree and police chase near Ingersoll.

Oxford OPP began a month long investigation after getting a call about a suspicious man in a parked vehicle on North Town Line around 10:42pm on September 23. Officers found a man sleeping inside a black pickup truck that was connected to a large enclosed trailer.

Paramedics were called to the scene after the man told police he was not feeling well. But after a brief chat with officers, the man got back into the pickup and sped away, nearly hitting an officer.

Police followed the pickup in an attempt to get it to pull over, but lost sight of the vehicle. The trailer was found abandoned in Zorra Township.

Shortly after, police were flagged down by a man who said he had been intentionally cut off and confronted by another man who tried to steal his vehicle on Road 64. The man was able to escape in his vehicle and was treated for minor injuries.

Around 11:15pm, police were called to a crash involving the suspect pickup on Road 64 at 19th Line. Witnesses told police the man ran from the scene. Officers searched the area but were unable to find him.

The next day, police were called to a rural home where a vehicle had been stolen overnight, not far from where the suspect truck was ditched.

Police discovered the pickup had been reported stolen to Guelph police on September 16. Audio visual equipment, worth $61,000, that had been reported stolen from Rogers TV in Waterloo on September 19 was found in the bed of the truck. A riding lawn mower was found inside the enclosed trailer, both of which were also taken from the Waterloo region on September 23. Police also discovered three stolen licence plates inside the pickup.

A 37-year-old Waterloo man was arrested in connection with the incident last Thursday. He is charged with a long list of offences include robbery with violence, dangerous operation of a motor vehicle, flight from police, and possession of property obtained by crime.

The man will remain in police custody until his next court date.