Heat Alert Issued For Elgin County
It’s going to be a scorcher of a weekend, and Elgin St. Thomas Public Health wants people to make sure they stay cool.
The health unit issued a heat alert Friday afternoon, as temperatures are expected to hit 30C on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.
Humidex readings are likely to reach 40C.
Elgin St. Thomas Public Health is offering tips to stay cool this weekend:
- drink lots of water even if you do not feel thirsty
- avoid drinking alcohol, coffee, and pop
- avoid going in the sun or heat
- if you have to go outside, stay in the shade as much as possible and wear wide-brimmed hats
- keep electric lights turned down low
- avoid using your oven and eating heavy meals
- avoid intense physical activity
The most at-risk for heat-related illness are the elderly, those with suppressed immune systems, babies, and the homeless.
- rapid breathing
- weakness or fainting
- more tiredness than usual
Anyone experiencing these symptoms should call 911 or see a doctor.