Fire Department Urges Firework Safety
July 1, 2015 2:00am
The London Fire Department is urging caution if you choose to set off fireworks this Canada Day.
They say there are risks of burn injuries associated with improper use of fireworks. The fire department suggests people attend public events since they have licensing and qualified technicians to set off the fireworks displays.
Officials at the London Fire Department say if you do decide to put on your own display, you should follow these guidelines:
- Only responsible adults who are aware of the hazards should handle or discharge fireworks
- Do not use illegal fireworks
- Only purchase approved consumer fireworks from licensed vendors
- Read and follow the directions on the packaging
- Keep water nearby
- Keep sparklers away from children
- Only light one firework at a time
- Do not light a firework in your hand or try to re-light dud fireworks
- Light the fireworks far away from buildings, trees, and dry grass
- Only use fireworks if weather conditions do not create a safety hazard
- Keep onlookers a safe distance away and upwind from the fireworks
- Be respectful of your neighbours
The City of London fireworks bylaw allows the use of fireworks on Canada Day, but provides exceptions, including on the Saturday following Canada Day when it falls on a Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday.