Man Charged After Police Chase
A London man faces several charges after a dangerous high-speed chase in the city.
Around 11pm Tuesday night, OPP officers pulled over a driver on Merlin Cres. Officers determined that the driver had been drinking and tried to arrest him. But the man drove off at what police call a “high rate of speed.” He was driving a van that was hauling a trailer that had been reported stolen.
Officers chased the van through several residential neighbourhoods. Police say the van hit a cruiser before stopping on Florence St. near Highbury Ave.
Again, officers tried to arrest the driver but police say he drove the van at an officer before taking off again.
The van was eventually stopped on Burslem St. where the driver ran away from police.
Officers chased him and made an arrest at a nearby residence. The suspect was taken to the Middlesex OPP detachment, where police say he refused to provide a breath sample.
Shawn Walker, 48, is charged with:
- Driving while impaired – motor vehicle
- Resisting a peace officer
- Dangerous operation of a motor vehicle
- Flight while pursued by peace officer
- Possession of property obtained by crime under $5,000
- Driving while disqualified – court order
- Failing or refusing to provide sample
- Assault with a weapon
No officers were hurt when the cruiser was hit.