CK police briefs – Sunday, January 2, 2022
Man arrested after found intoxicated in another person’s motel room
A 37-year-old Chatham man is facing charges after being found drunk and refusing to leave a motel room registered to another person.
Police say they were called to the residential facility in the area of Michener Road and Grand Avenue in Chatham early Sunday morning.
Officers say when they arrived, they also discovered the man had written all over the walls in the facility.
He was arrested, charged with mischief under $5,000, and held in custody until sober.
Police tips for driving in wintry weather conditions
Chatham-Kent police are reminding the public to check the weather forecast and road reports before and during a trip. If there is a weather warning or reports of poor visibility and driving conditions, delay your trip until conditions improve, if possible.
If you get caught driving in blowing snow or a whiteout, follow these safe driving tips:
• Slow down gradually and drive at a speed that suits the conditions.
• Make sure the full lighting system of your vehicle is turned on.
• Use your low-beam headlights. High beams reflect off the ice particles in the snow, making it harder to see. If you have fog lights on your vehicle, use them, in addition to your low beams.
• Be patient. Avoid passing, changing lanes and crossing traffic.
• Increase your following distance. You will need extra space to brake safely.
• Stay alert. Keep looking as far ahead as possible.
• Keep your windows and mirrors clean. Use defroster and wipers to maximize your vision.
• Try to get off the road when visibility is near zero. Pull into a safe parking area if possible.
• Don’t attempt to pass a vehicle moving slowly or speed up to get away from a vehicle that is following too closely.