CK police briefs – Friday, June 17, 2022

Man arrested twice the same night for violating curfew

A 63-year-old Chatham man spent the night in a holding cell at Chatham-Kent police headquarters after he was allegedly caught out past his curfew twice Thursday night.

Chatham-Kent police said they found the man the first time after officers were called to check on a man who was lying in the grass at Lions Park on Stewart Street in Chatham shortly after 8:30 p.m. Thursday.

When officers arrived, they learned that the man was on a condition that required him to stay inside his residence between 7 p.m. and 6 a.m. daily.

The man was arrested and later released with a future court date.

A couple of hours later, at around 11:40 p.m. Thursday, officers were called to a report of a suspicious person on Wilson Avenue in Chatham.

Police said the homeowner told them a man had knocked on their door and then went to the backyard when they didn’t answer.

Officers said when they showed up, they found the same man they had arrested earlier in the evening, so they arrested him a second time for violating his curfew condition again.

The accused was charged with failing to comply with his release conditions and trespassing. He was set to be held in custody pending a bail hearing.


Man arrested for breaching his house arrest

A 27-year-old Chatham man is in more trouble with the law after he was allegedly spotted walking on and off a road in Chatham when he should have been inside his home.

Police said they went to check on the man after getting a report of a man seen walking southbound on Sandys Street just after 12:30 a.m. Friday.

Officers said the man appeared to be disoriented as he was walking on and off the roadway.

Police said when they learned who he was, they also found out that he had previously been ordered to stay inside his residence at all times with only a few exceptions.

He was taken to the hospital for medical attention first and once he was cleared, he was arrested for breaching a conditional sentence order.

The accused was taken back to police headquarters where he was set to be held pending a bail hearing.